About The School
The mission of Maple Leaf School of Russian Ballet is to remain true to classical ballet by teaching the clean technique of the Vaganova Method and the Bolshoi Curriculum while exploring various choreography through modern and contemporary dance forms.
The developmental techniques and ideals outlined by Agrippina Vaganova almost a century ago continue to be widely used today and have produced the world’s most renowned dancers best recognized for their flawless technique and artistry – Ulanova, Nureyev, Baryshnikov, Zakharova. In the words of our Artistic Director, Mr. David C. Beales, “the Vaganova method has a long tradition and is absolutely flawless and perfect in the development of technique and purity of line…” Mr. Beales’ passion for the Russian methods translates into his teaching and his vision for Maple Leaf School of Russian Ballet.
Classical ballet, clean technique and contemporary choreography, and the overall development and well-being of the dancer are our primary focuses since opening the school in September, 2012.
Under the direction of Mr. Beales, who is the only instructor in Canada with certifications from both the Vaganova Ballet Academy Faculty and the Bolshoi Ballet Academy, we offer a rare opportunity for students outside of Russia to study the ballet methods taught at the Bolshoi Academy and Vaganova Academy. We are proud of the exceptional calibre of training we provide to our dancers.
Our professional students have achieved great distinction in the short time that our school has been in operation. Through hard work and determination from both students and instructors, our students have found placement in some of the top international programs.
- · Formation Superieure du Danseur in Geneva, Switzerland, with scholarship, 2017
- · Budapest Dance Theatre International Elite Program in Hungary, 2017
- . 2017 International Ballet Masterclasses at the Czech National Ballet in Prague, Czech Republic, where Bolshoi Ballet’s prima ballerina, Evgenia Obraztsova, is one of the instructors.
- · The Summer 2017 Open World Intensive in Riga, Latvia, where luminary instructors and dancers from the Vaganova Ballet Academy and the Bolshoi will be coaching.
- · The 2017 Bolshoi Ballet Academy Summer Intensive in NYC.
- · The Winter 2017 Open World Intensive in NYC where the legendary Irina Kolpakova is one of the instructors.
- · The Gelsey Kirkland Academy 2017 Summer Ballet Intensive in NYC.
- · Our professional students were guest dancers in the Richter Academy of Classical Dance’s premiere production of The Nutcracker in Los Angeles, California, in 2016.
- · The 2015 Summer Open World Intensive in NYC
- · The 2015 Bolshoi Ballet Academy Summer Intensive in NYC
- · Alberta Ballet Summer Intensive in 2015
- · Goh Ballet Summer Intensive in 2015
Maple Leaf School of Russian Ballet offers three distinct programs:
1) Professional Program is geared for students 11 years and older wishing to pursue a possible professional career in dance. The purpose of this program is to provide the comprehensive development, technical training and dance knowledge necessary to be a professional dancer. This program uses the Bolshoi Academy Curriculum and follows the Vaganova method. The classical ballet classes are taught by our Artistic Director, Mr. David C. Beales.
2) Youth Dance Program is for students who would like to explore their love of dance through classical ballet training as well as through other styles of dance. Classes are for students ages 3 and up. We are the only dance school on Vancouver Island certified by the Society of Russian Ballet (SRB) to teach the Vaganova method syllabus and conduct examinations using the Vaganova technique. We also offer the Vocational Grades of the Royal Academy of Dance.
Students 10 years and older may also enroll in our Capital Ballet Youth Ensemble, which is our performance only youth dance company and a subsidiary of Maple Leaf School of Russian Ballet.
3) Adult Dance Program is for students 19 years of age and up. Our Adult program is based on the Vaganova method but has been adapted for adults by our Artistic Director. We offer classes for beginners to more experienced dancers.
Maple Leaf School of Russian Ballet’s studios are located in the old Parish Hall at the back of St. Saviour’s Historic Church. Built in 1888, this hall started out as the community's school house, but in 1891, it became the parish hall for The Church of the Holy Saviour. This heritage property offers wonderful examples of Gothic Revival architecture throughout the building's interior and has served many purposes throughout its history and today, is home to our wonderful ballet school.
The School has renovated the hall by painstakingly restoring the old wood interior and upgrading the lighting, adding 10′ mirrors, bringing in en-pointe portabarres™, and laying down genuine red Harlequin Cascade flooring to create an environment and ambience of tradition and history.
The School's second studio is inside St. Saviour's Church in what was once the choir room and part of the addition made by the Royal Army Engineers in 1896. The studio is 20'x25' with 10' mirrors, en-pointe portabarres™, original hardwood flooring and is surrounded by stained glass windows and high vaulted ceilings.
Plans for a box theatre to be built inside the school is underway. Once completed, the theatre will give our school and local arts groups a venue for more performance opportunities.
Maple Leaf School of Russian Ballet is located at 310 Henry Street at the corner of Henry Street and Catherine Street in Victoria, B.C. The School is a short 5 minute drive from downtown Victoria, over the Johnson Street or Bay Street bridges. The School is also a 5 minute walk along Catherine St. from the section of the Songhees Walkway by Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub, which looks directly across the waters to Fisherman's Wharf.
The School is located in a residential neighbourhood and we kindly ask that students and parents be considerate of our neighbours by not blocking driveways when parking around the school.
The School is located on, or very close to the following bus routes:
- 6 Esquimalt
- 10 Royal Jubilee/Dockyard
- 14 UVIC
- 24 Admirals Walk
- 25 Admirals Walk/Western Exchange
For more information on Bus routes, or to plan your trip to get to our School, we recommend “Google Transit”, or visit BC Transit Trip Planner.