Maple Leaf School of Russian Ballet's adult classes provide well structured classical ballet education based on the Vaganova ballet method, which is the same method used in our Professional Program. The adult program has been adapted by our Artistic Director to suit the needs and development of adult dancers while ensuring the same standard of training as our Professional and Youth programs. We offer lessons for adults 19 years old and up at four levels, Fundamentals I - IV, for those who have no dance experience to those with more experience. Our certified instructors give exceptional attention to detail in a fun environment so that there is complete and proper development of the student.
January - June, 2018 Schedule:
Term 3: April 3 to June 9, 2018
|* Level 1D *
|* Level 2A *
| AB - Pointe
| AB - Pointe
|AB - Pointe|
|* Level 1B *
* Class schedule subject to change.
*_* Indicate registered classes which are open for drop in students. Students may combine registered and drop in classes but payment for registered classes cannot be transferred to drop in classes. New students are accepted at any time depending on experience and availability of space, and preferably at the beginning of a Term. Limited programs may be available during the summer months.
- Fundamentals of Ballet - Level 1A: For individuals with little or no ballet experience, or for those who wish to re-visit the basics. These classes emphasize the basics of classical ballet using the Vaganova method and ballet vocabulary, as well as focus on physical and mental development. Classes are 1 hour long.
- Fundamentals of Ballet - Level 1B: For individuals with a little ballet experience and have already learned some of the basic steps of the Vaganova method and ballet vocabulary in Level 1A. We strongly recommend that students attend at least 2 classes a week (Level 1A and Level 1B) for better development. Classes are 1 hour and 30 min long.
- Fundamentals of Ballet - Level 1C: For students who would like to progress beyond Fundamentals of Ballet Level 1A & 1B. We recommend this level for dancers who have one or more years of recent ballet training and were taking class at least once a week for the past year. Classes include full barre and some centre and are 1 hour and 30 min long.
- Fundamentals of Ballet - Level 1D: For students who would like to progress beyond Fundamentals of Ballet Level 1C. We recommend this level for dancers who have one or more years of recent ballet training and were taking class at least once a week for the past year. Classes include full barre and some centre and are 1 hour and 30 min long.
- Fundamentals of Ballet - Level 2A: For students who have experience with dance and preferably have progressed through all the Fundamentals of Ballet Level 1A-1D classes. Students taking this level should have one or more years of recent ballet training and were taking classes at least twice a week for the past year. Students will be learning the set of exercises and steps taught in the first half of the 2nd year of the Vaganova method. Classes include full barre and some centre and are 1 hour and 30 min long.
- Fundamentals of Ballet - Pointe 1: Must be taken in conjunction with the Level 1D ballet classes. Students taking this class should have one or more years of recent ballet training and are currently taking classes at least twice a week. Students are invited by the instructor or should be assessed before registering for this class.
- Fundamentals of Ballet - Level 2B: For students with dance experience and preferably have progressed through the Fundamentals of Ballet Level 2A. We recommend these classes for dancers who have one or more years of recent ballet training and were taking class at least once a week for the past year. Students will be learning the set of exercises and steps taught in the second half of the 2nd year of the Vaganova method. Please contact us for more details about this class.
- Advance Adult Open Ballet: For students with several years of dance and ballet training in the Vaganova/Russian method, the Cecchetti method and/or RAD . Classes will include full barre and full centre. Please contact us for more details about this class.
- Ballet Stretch: No previous experience necessary. This is a stretch and strengthen class using pre-ballet technique and methods to help increase overall flexibility and strength in a gentle and relaxed environment.
DROP IN CLASS FEES:
Fundamentals Level 1A: $18.00
Fundamentals Level 1B: $20.00
Fundamentals Level 1C: $20.00
Fundamentals Level 1D: $20.00
Fundamentals Pointe 1: $25.00 (including Level 1D ballet class)
Fundamentals Level 2A: $25.00 (including pointe class)
Fundamentals Level 2B: $25.00 (including pointe class)
Fundamentals Level 3 & 4: $20.00
Advance Adult Open Ballet: $20.00
RAD Vocational Levels: By Request
Ballet Stretch: $18.00
REGISTERED CLASS FEES:
|Term 2||Term 3|
|1A Monday am||$162||$126|
|1B Monday pm||$160||$140|
|1D Tuesday am||$200||$180|
|1C Tuesday pm||$200||$180|
|Ballet Stretch - Saturday||$172||$144|
Registered Classes: Students must sign up for these classes (by clicking on the registration link above). Registered classes are designed to ensure that students' progress and development are consistent and carried through the whole year without interruption. The classes are progressive from term to term, and lessons will not restart from the beginning of the level with each new term.
Drop-In Classes: Please select class on the form at the top of this page.
New students are always welcome to the drop-in classes.
Trial class: Our classes are small so try a drop in class at no cost at any time. Please call to book a FREE TRIAL CLASS or use the link at the top of this page.
Annual Fee: A non-refundable $25.00 Annual fee will be applied to all student, new or returning. The fee will be billed to the first invoice for new students and will be automatically billed to the September invoice for returning students.
There will be a NSF charge of $35, and an additional $10/month charge for all late payments.
Due to the continuous increase of fees from credit cards companies, all payments made by credit card will have a 2.5% fee. Preferred payment method is with cheque, e-transfer, or cash.
Registered Class Payment:
- 5% discount for payment made in whole for one registered class paid at the beginning of each term.
- 10% discount for payment made in whole for two or more registered classes paid at the beginning of each term.
- Payment may be made by cheque or cash submitted at the beginning of the term.
Students may withdraw up to the third week of classes for a full refund of classes not taken, minus a $20 administration fee. There will be no refunds after the third week of classes.
Drop-In Class Payment:
Drop-in students will receive an invoice by email at the beginning of the month itemizing all classes taken in the previous month. Payment is due within two weeks of the statement date and can be paid by cash, cheque, Mastercard or Visa. Late charges will apply after the two weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Class is right for me?
Please contact the School and provide us with a brief description of your previous dance education/experience and we will be happy to place you in the class which best suits your needs. Remember, the first class is a TRIAL class and is FREE!
What should I wear?
Tight fitting clothing such as yoga wear is preferred. If you are not comfortable wearing tights and leotards, then you don’t have to wear them! There is no uniform. However, we strongly recommend split-sole, non-stretch canvas ballet slippers. If you have never done ballet before, try it wearing socks during your trial class.
Do I have to perform?
Adult Ballet students may be invited to guest in our annual Christmas and Year End performances. These performance opportunities usually consist of character roles or in choreography. There is never any pressure or requirement to participate in any of the performances and the level of participation is completely up to the individual student. Extra classes and rehearsals may be requested by the instructor and will be arranged as needed. Rehearsals may be at the same time as the regular adult ballet classes or additional classes may be added at the same rate of cost as the regular classes. As well, a costume rental fee will be applied to all students participating in these performances.
Professional dancers: Please contact the school prior to attending any classes and special class arrangement will be made.